To get this project started, we decide to take a trip out to Lincoln Park to see the facility and meet the staff first-hand. In the discovery meeting, we got a great feel for the atmosphere of the office and the types of customers that they service on a regular basis. We also brainstormed on a number of content enhancements, one of which led to the conception of documentary-style patient videos (more on this later). We also interviewed the LPI executive team, asking them a series of carefully crafted questions that allowed us to specify tangible goals, and key features to support such efforts. This meeting provided both a clear direction to proceed with, as well as an eye-opening glimpse into the practice.
Once we returned to our studio, we quickly digested as a team and prioritized on next actions. The most glaring problem involved reorganizing the entire site architecture to support the needs of new patients, existing patients, referring doctors and of course, LPI’s own business objectives. Previously, LPI promoted both oral surgery and cosmetic surgery as core practice areas. Upon further probing, LPI came to the conclusion that they needed to focus on just oral surgery procedures, if they were to remain a highly successful local practice. This meant removing all cosmetic procedures from the site architecture, allowing us to narrow scope to the most frequented procedures that capture the highest margins.
The other section that we needed to revisit was the Information For Patients area. LPI’s old website had used this section haphazardly and ineffectively. Because a patient in pain after a procedure does not need the same information as a patient getting ready to come in for their first visit, we decided to clearly separate each section into relevant categories – in order to best prepare each group’s job to be done. Applying this lens to our overall approach enabled us to create a user experience that clearly points people to the information that they need most.
With the architecture reworked, it was time to approach this project in a more visual manner. When we started brainstorming ideas, it was apparent from the get go that we needed to showcase a lot of pictures. Not just of the staff or building, but also the operating rooms and the places you don’t necessarily see from the reception area. People needed to know how professional these guys were and that they were ready for anything. Our thought was to use these large images to help convey that point.
We also approached these wireframes with the idea of skimmable content in mind. We needed a way to show informative headers that would give the user an idea of what they were about to read. This leaves the user with options. If there happened to be a section they were not concerned with, the header would allow them to skim until they found the information relative to their visit to the site.
To start the process, our team gathered in our conference room and started sketching some ideas out on the whiteboard Knowing we needed a responsive solution, we sketched up every major template for mobile, tablet, and desktop experiences. When the sketches were complete, we refined our concepts into high fidelity wireframes – with enough detail to present structure and interaction. With the client on-board with our vision, we were ready to take the next step.